Maureen Cropper received a B.A. in economics from Bryn Mawr College (summa cum laude, 1969) and a Ph.D. in economics from Cornell University (1973). She is a Senior Fellow at Resources for the Future and a former Lead Economist at the World Bank.
Dr. Cropper has served as chair of the EPA Science Advisory Board Environmental Economics Advisory Committee and as past president of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists. She is a member of the National Academy of Sciences and a Member of the Board of Directors of the National Bureau of Economic Research. Her research has focused on valuing environmental amenities (especially environmental health effects), on the discounting of future health benefits, and on the tradeoffs implicit in environmental regulations.
Her current research focuses on the costs and benefits of air pollution control in India and on the valuation of climate amenities.
Areas of Interest
- Valuing Environmental Amenities (Especially Environmental Health Effects)
- Choice of Discount Rates
- Tradeoffs Implicit in Environmental Regulations
- Economics of Transportation
Degree TypePhDDegree DetailsCornell University, 1973
Degree TypeBADegree DetailsBryn Mawr College, 1969
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON781||Valuing Environmental Benefits||Spring 2022|
|ECON481||Environmental Economics||Fall 2022|
|ECON423||Advanced Topics in Econometrics||Spring 2021|
|ECON878||Workshop in Labor Economics||Spring 2021|
|ECON781||Valuing Environmental Benefits||Spring 2021|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Fall 2020|
|ECON878||Workshop in Labor Economics||Fall 2020|
- Pollution and Health: A Progress Update, , The Lancet Planetary Health 6, e535-547, June .
- Looking Back at 50 Years of the Clean Air Act, , Journal of Economic Literature 60(1 ), 179-232, March .
- The Value of Climate Amenities: A Comparison of Hedonic and Discrete Choice Approaches, , Journal of Urban Economics, November .
- Air Pollution and Development in Africa: Impacts on Health, the Economy and Human Capital, , The Lancet Planetary Health 5, e681-688, October .
- The Health Impacts of Coal-Fired Power Plants in India and the Co-Benefits of GHG Reductions, , AEA Papers and Proceedings, May .
- Closing the Gap: Gender, Transport and Employment in Mumbai, , Closing the Gap: Gender, Transport and Employment in Mumbai, March .
- Eight Priorities for Calculating the Social Cost of Carbon, , Nature, February .
- The Mortality Impacts of Current and Planned Coal-Fired Power Plants in India, , Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, e2017936118, February .
- Health and Economic Impacts of Air Pollution in the States of India: The Global Burden of Disease Study 2019, , The Lancet Planetary Health, December .
- Looking Back at 50 Years of the Clean Air Act, , Looking Back at 50 Years of the Clean Air Act, January .
- A Conversation with Maureen Cropper, , Annual Review of Resource Economics 11, 1-18, December .
- Reference Case Guidelines for Benefit-Cost Analysis in Global Health and Development: Summary and Recommendations, , Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, May .
- Applying Benefit-Cost Analysis to Air Pollution Control in the Indian Power Sector, , Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis 10(S1 ), 185-205, March .
- Facilitating Retrospective Analysis of Environmental Regulations., , Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, June .
- Pollution and Global Health – An Agenda for Prevention, , Environmental Health Perspectives
- The impact of trading on the costs and benefits of the Acid Rain Program, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 88, 180–209, March .
- Costs and Benefits of Installing Flue-Gas Desulfurization Units at Coal-Fired Power Plants in India, , Disease Control Priorities: Injury Prevention and Environmental Health 7, third edition, 239-248
- Household Location Decisions and the Value of Climate Amenities, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management
- Looking backward to move regulations forward, , Science 355(6332 ), 1375-1376, March .
- The Lancet Commission on Pollution and Health, , The Lancet, October .
- The welfare effects of fuel conservation policies in a dual-fuel car market: Evidence from India, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 86, 244-261
- Valuing Climate Damages: Updating Estimation of of the Social Cost of Carbon Dioxide, , National Research Council, January .
- Assessment of Approaches to Updating the Social Cost of Carbon: Phase I Report on a Near-Term Update, , National Research Council, January .
- Health Benefits of Air Pollution Abatement Policy: Role of the Shape of the Concentration-Response Function, , Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association 65(5 ), 516-522, June .
- The Impact of Electricity Sector Restructuring on Coal-fired Power Plants in India, , The Energy Journal 36(4 ), 287-312, October .
- Declining Discount Rates, , American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 104(5 ), 538-543, May .
- Getting Cars Off the Road: The Cost-Effectiveness of an Episodic Pollution Control Program, , Environmental and Resource Economics 57(1 ), 117-143, January .
- How Effective are U.S. Renewable Energy Subsidies in Cutting Greenhouse Gases?, , American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 104(5 ), 569-574, May .
- How Should Benefits and Costs Be Discounted in an Inter-generational Context?, , Sustainable Consumption: Multi-Dimensional Perspectives in Honour of Sir Partha Dasgupta, ed. by Dale Southeron and Alistair Ulph, Oxford University Press, August .
- Should Governments Use a Declining Discount Rate in Project Analysis?, , Review of Environmental Economics and Policy 8(2 ), 145-163, July .
- Using and Improving the Social Cost of Carbon, , Science 346(6214 ), 1189-1190, December .
- Why Are Power Plants in India Less Efficient than Power Plants in the United States?, , American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 104(5 ), 586-590, May .
- Determining Benefits and Costs For Future Generations, , Science 341(6144 ), 349-350, July .
- Effects of US Tax Policy on Greenhouse Gas Emissions, , National Research Council, January .
- Public Transport Subsidies and Affordability in Mumbai, India, , Urban Studies Research, November .
- The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market, , Energy Policy 39(11 ), 7174-7183, November .
- The Political Economy of Health Services Provision in Brazil, , Economic Development and Cultural Change 59(4 ), 723-751, July .
- Valuing Mortality Risk Reductions: Progress and Challenges, , Annual Review of Resource Economics 3, 313-336, October .
- Climate Change Assessments: Review of the Processes and Procedures of the Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change, , InterAcademy Council, October .
- Current Issues in China's Environmental Policy: Comments., , Proceedings of the Lincoln Institute China Conference, Cambridge, MA, May .
- Hidden Costs of Energy: Unpriced Consequences of Energy Production and Use, , National Research Council, January .
- What are the Health Effects of Air Pollution in China?, , Is Economic Growth Sustainable? G.M. Heal (ed). London:Palgrave-Macmillan, 2010, January .
- A Cross-Country Comparison of Decontralization and Environmental Protection: Commentary, , Fiscal Decentralization and Land Policies, G. Ingram and Y. Hong (eds.). Cambridge, MA: Lincoln Institute of Land Development, January .
- Global Environmental Sustainability: Protecting the Commons, , Global Monitoring Report, World Bank, 205-236, April .
- Measuring the welfare effects of slum improvement programs: The case of Mumbai, , Journal of Urban Economics 64(1 ), 65-84, July .
- Why Have Traffic Fatalities Declined in Industrialised Countries? Implications for Pedestrians and Vehicle Occupants, , Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 42(1 ), 129-154, January .
- The Impact of Policies to Control Motor Vehicle Emissions in Mumbai, India, , Journal of Regional Science 47(1 ), 27-46, February .
- The Value of Mortality Risk Reductions in Delhi, India, , Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 34(1 ), 21-47
- The Demand for Insecticide-Treated Mosquito Nets, , Handbook of Contingent Valuation, Editors J. Kahn and A. Alberini, Edward Elgar (2006), 324-339., January .
- The Welfare Effects of Slum Improvement Programs: The Case of Mumbai, , Policy Research Working Paper, February .
- Urban Poverty and Transport: The Case of Mumbai, , Policy Research Working Paper, September .
- Willingness to Pay for Mortality Risk Reductions: Does Latency Matter?, , Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 32(3 ), 231-245, January .
- Environmental Health and Traditional Fuel use in Guatemala, , World Bank, April .
- The Impact of Urban Spatial Structure on Travel Demand in the United States, , The Review of Economics and Statistics 87(3 ), 466-478, August .
- Traffic Fatalities and Economic Growth, , Accident Analysis and Prevention 37(1 ), 169-178, January .
- Better Evaluation of Life-Saving Environmental Regulations, , New Approaches on Energy and the Environmental: Policy Advice for the President, ed. by Richard D. Morgenstern, Paul Portney, November .
- Does the Value of a Statistical Life Vary with Age and Health Status? Evidence from the U.S. and Canada, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 48(1 ), 769-792, July .
- The Demand for a Malaria Vaccine: Evidence from Ethiopia, , Journal of Development Economics 75(1 ), 303-318, October .
- Age, Health and the Willingness to Pay for Mortality Risk Reductions: A Contingent Valuation Survey of Ontario Residents, , Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 24(2 ), 161-186, March .
- Estimating the Public Health Benefits of Air Pollution Regulations, , National Research Council, January .
- Has Economic Research Answered the Needs of Environmental Policy?, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 39(3 ), 328-350, May .
- Predicting the Location of Deforestation: The Role of Roads and Protected Areas in North Thailand, , Land Economics 77(2 ), 172-186, May .
- Public Choices Between Life-Saving Programs: The Tradeoff Between Qualitative Factors and Lives Saved, , Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 21(1 ), 117-149, July .
- Sulfur Dioxide Control by Electric Utilities: What Are the Gains from Trade?, , Journal of Political Economy 108(6 ), 1292-1317, December .
- Environmental Federalism: Welfare Losses from Uniform National Drinking Water Standards, , Environmental and Public Economics: Essays in Honor of Wallace E. Oates, ed. by Arvind Panagariya, Paul Portney, and Robert M. Schwab, Edward Elgar Publishing Company, January .
- Roads, Population Pressures and Deforestation in Thailand, 1976-1989, , Land Economics, 75 (1999), 58-73. 75(1 ), 58-73, February .
- The Implications of Hyperbolic Discounting for Project Evaluation, , Discounting Intergenerational Equity, Editors Paul R. Portney and John Weyant, Washington, DC: Resources for the Future (1999)., January .
- Contingent Valuation, , The New Pelgrave Dictionary of Economics and the Law, ed. by Peter Newman 1, January .
- The Health Benefits of Air Pollution Control in Delhi, , American Journal of Agricultural Economics 79(5 ), 1625-1629, December .
- Valuing Health Effects of Air Pollution in Developing Countries: The Case of Taiwan, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 34(2 ), 107-126, October .
- Benefit-Cost Analysis in Environmental Health and Safety Regulation: A Statement of Principles, , AEI Press, January .
- Comment on Estimating the Demand for Public Goods: The Colective Choice and Contingent Valuation Approaches, , Using Contingent Valuation to Measure Non-Market Values, ed. by D. Bjornstad and J. Kahn, January .
- Is There A Role for Benefit-Cost Analysis in Environmental, Health and Safety Regulations, , Science 272(5259 ), 221-222, April .
- Paying for Permanence: An Economic Analysis of EPA's Cleanup Decisions at Superfund Sites, , The RAND Journal of Economics 27(3 ), 563-582
- What is the Value of Reduced Morbidity in Taiwan?, , The Economics of Pollution Control in the Asian Pacific, January .
- When is a Life Too Costly to Save? The Evidence from U.S. Environmental Regulations, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 30(3 ), 348-368, May .
- Discussion: Valuing Food Safety: Which Approaches to Use?, , Valuing Food Safety and Nutrition, ed. by Julie Caswell, Westview Press, January .
- Do Benefits and Costs Matter in Environmental Regulation? An Analysis of EPA Decisions Under Superfund, , Reauthorizing Superfund: Theoretical and Empirical Issues, ed. by R. Revesz and R Stewart, Johns Hopkins University Press for Resources for the Future, January .
- Economic and Health Consequences of Pesticide Use in Developing Country Agriculture: Discussion, , American Journal of Agricultural Economics 76(3 ), 605-607, January .
- Preferences for Life-Saving Programs: How the Public Discounts Time and Age, , Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 8(3 ), 243-265, May .
- The Interaction of Population Growth and Environmental Quality, , American Economic Review Proceedings 84(2 ), 250-254, May .
- Valuing Product Attributes Using Single Market Data: A Comparison of Hedonic and Discrete Choice Approaches, , Review of Economics and Statistics, 75 (1993), 225-232. Reprinted in Revealed Preference Approaches to Environmental Valuation: Volume II, Editors Joseph Herriges and Cathy Kling (2008). 75(2 ), 225-232, May .
- Environmental Economics: A Survey, , Journal of Economic Literature 30(2 ), 675-740, June .
- Pesticide Regulation and the Rule-Making Process, , Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 21(2 ), 77-82, October .
- Rates of Time Preference for Saving Lives, , American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 82(2 ), 469-472, May .
- The Determinants of Pesticide Regulation: A Statistical Analysis of EPA Decisionmaking, , Journal of Political Economy. Reprinted in The Political Economy of Environmental Protection: Analysis and Evidence, Editor Roger Congleton, Ann Arbor: U. of Michigan Press (1996). 100(1 ), 175-197, February .
- The Effect of Information on Health Risk Valuations, , Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 5(1 ), 29-48, February .
- Discounting Human Lives, , American Journal of Agricultural Economics 73(5 ), 1410-1415, December .
- Valuing Environmental Health Effects, , Measuring the Demand for Environmental Commodities, Editors John Braden and Charles Kolstad, Amsterdam: North-Holland (1991)., January .
- Wasteful Commuting: A Re-examination, , Journal of Urban Economics 29(1 ), 2-13, January .
- Discounting and the Evaluation of Life-Saving Programs, , Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 3(4 ), 369-379, December .
- Valuing Future Risks to Life, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 19(2 ), 160-174, September .
- A Note on the Extinction of Renewable Resources, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 15(1 ), 64-70, March .
- Families and the Economics of Risks to Life, , American Economic Review 78(1 ), 255-260, March .
- On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions, , Review of Economics and Statistics 70(4 ), 668-675, November .
- Economic Incentives for Pollution Control, , Lecture Notes, American Mathematical Society Short Course on Environmental and Natural Resource Mathematics, American Mathematical Society, January .
- Measuring Benefits from Reduced Morbidity, , American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 71(2 ), 235-240, May .
- The Value of Urban Amenities, , Journal of Regional Science 21(3 ), 359-374, August .
- Inter-city Wage Differentials and the Value of Air Quality, , Journal of Urban Economics 8(2 ), 236-254, September .
- Pollution Aspects of Nuclear Energy Use, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 7(4 ), 334-352, December .
- The Optimal Extinction of a Renewable Natural Resource, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 6(4 ), 341-349, December .
- The Optimal Consumption of Depletable Natural Resources: An Elaboration, Correction, and Extension, , The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 92, No. 2. (May, 1978), pp. 337-344. 92(2 ), 337-334, May .
- Health, Investment in Health, and Occupational Choice, , Journal of Political Economy 85(6 ), 1273-1294, December .
- A State-Preference Approach to the Precautionary Demand for Money, , American Economic Review 66(3 ), 388-394, June .
- Regulating Activities with Catastrophic Environmental Effects, , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 3 (1976), 1-15. 3(1 ), 1-15, June .