Yusufcan Masatlioglu joined the Department of Economics as an Associate Professor in Fall 2016. He has been a full professor since 2018. He obtained his Ph.D. in Economics from New York University, after which he joined the faculty of the University of Michigan. Prof. Masatlioglu has developed a research agenda in the area of bounded rationality and decision theory. He is best known for his work on the theoretical foundations of reference-dependent choice, time preference, limited attention, bounded rationality, and willpower. His work has been published in leading academic journals, including the American Economic Review, the Journal of Political Economy, and the Review of Economic Studies. He received two National Science Foundation grants for his works on limited attention and random attention. He is currently an associate editor at the Journal of Political Economy.
Degree TypePhDDegree DetailsNew York University
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON868||Workshop in Industrial Organization||Fall 2023|
|ECON868||Workshop in Industrial Organization||Spring 2023|
|ECON604||Microeconomic Analysis II||Spring 2023|
|ECON637||Decision Theory||Spring 2023|
|ECON868||Workshop in Industrial Organization||Fall 2022|
|ECON868||Workshop in Industrial Organization||Spring 2022|
|ECON406||Advanced Microeconomics||Spring 2022|
|ECON868||Workshop in Industrial Organization||Fall 2021|
|ECON637||Decision Theory||Fall 2021|
|ECON868||Workshop in Industrial Organization||Spring 2021|
|ECON406||Advanced Microeconomics||Spring 2021|
- Skewness and Intrinsic Preferences for Information , , American Economic Review (conditionally accepted), April .
- Progressive Random Choice, , Journal of Political Economy 131(3 ), 716–750, March .
- Choice with Endogenous Categorization, , The Review of Economic Studies 89(1 ), 240–278, January .
- Behavioral Influence, , Journal of the European Economic Association
- Comparing ambiguous urns with different sizes, , Journal of Economic Theory 199, January .
- Decision Making with Product Network, , Economic Theory 71, 185–209, March .
- A theory of reference point formation, , Economic Theory, January .
- Path-Independent Consideration, , Games, January .
- A Random Attention Model, , Journal of Political Economy 128(7 ), 2796-2836, July .
- Willpower and Compromise Effect, , Theoretical Economics 15(1 ), 279-317, January .
- Limited attention and status quo bias, , Journal of Economic Theory 169, 93–127, May .
- When more is less: Limited consideration, , Journal of Economic Theory 170, 78-85, July .
- A Behavioral Analysis of Stochastic Reference Dependence, , American Economic Review 106(9 ), 2760-2782, September .
- Completing Incomplete Revealed Preference under Limited Attention, , The Japanese Economic Review 66(3 ), 285-299, September .
- Managing Markets for Toxic Assets, , Journal of Monetary Economics 70, 84–99, March .
- A Canonical Model of Choice with Initial Endowments, , Review of Economic Studies 81(2 ), 851-883, April .
- A Foundation for Strategic Agenda Voting, , Games and Economic Behavior 87, 91-99, September .
- Choice by Iterative Search, , Theoretical Economics 8(3 ), 701–728, September .
- Understanding the Reference Effect, , Games and Economic Behavior, 82, 403–423, November .
- Behavioral Mechanism Design: Evidence from the Modified First-Price Auctions, , Review of Economic Design 16(2-3 ), 159-173, September .
- Revealed Attention, , American Economic Review 102(5 ), 2183-2205, August .
- Informality Traps, , B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy 8(1 ), December .
- A Theory of (Relative) Discounting, , Journal of Economic Theory 137(1 ), 214-245, November .
- Rational choice with status quo bias, , Journal of Economic Theory 121(1 ), 1–29, March .
- Utility Representation via Additive or Multiplicative Error Functions, , Discrete Applied Mathematics 127(2 ), 181-197
- Numerical Representation of Binary Relation with a Multiplicative Error Function, , Information Sciences, 187-200