Professor Urzua received his PhD from the University of Chicago in 2007 and his BA from the University of Chile in 2001. He is Research Associate at the NBER and a Research Fellow at IZA. His research has focused on the role of cognitive and noncognitive abilities, and uncertainty as determinants of schooling decisions, labor market outcomes and social behavior. His research in econometrics is mainly concerned with the estimation of selection models with unobserved heterogeneity. Recently, he has analyzed the effects of early endowments on academic and labor market outcomes. His research agenda includes the evaluation of social programs in developing economies. He teaches in the area of Labor Economics and Econometrics.
Areas of Interest
- Applied Econometrics
Degree TypePhDDegree DetailsUniversity of Chicago, 2007
Degree TypeBADegree DetailsUniversity of Chile, 2001
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON422||Econometrics I||Spring 2017|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Spring 2017|
|ECON772||Population Economics||Spring 2017|
|ECON472||Economics of Social Safety Nets||Spring 2017|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Fall 2016|
|ECON878||Workshop in Labor Economics||Fall 2016|
|ECON422||Econometrics I||Spring 2016|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Spring 2016|
|ECON422||Econometrics I||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
|ECON771||Advanced Labor Economics: Theory and Evidence||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
- One Size Does Not Fit All: Multiple Dimensions of Ability, College Attendance and Earnings, , Journal of Labor Economics
- Heterogeneous Economic Returns to Postsecondary Degrees: Evidence from Chile, , Journal of Human Resources 51(2 ), April .
- Implementing Factor Models with Unobserved Heterogeneity in Stata: The heterofactor command , , Stata Journal 156(1 ), January .
- Early Exposure to Hazardous Waste and Academic Achievement: Evidence from a Case of Environmental Negligence, , Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists 2, 527-563, December .
- Cost benefit analysis of an integrated ECD program in a low-income country, , Annals of the New York Academy of Science 1308, 129-138, June .
- Economic Perspectives on Integrating Early Child Stimulation with Nutritional Interventions , , Annals of the New York Academy of Science 1308, 139-148
- Economic Perspectives on Some Important Dimensions of Early Childhood Development in Developing Countries , , Handbook of Early Childhood Development Research and Its Impact on Global Policy, Rebello, P., Engle, P., and Super, C. (Eds). Oxford University Press, 2013
- The Labor Market Return to an Attractive Face: Evidence from a Field Experiment, , Economics Letters 118(1 ), 170-172, January .
- The Demand and Supply of Early Education in Chile, , Estudios Públicos 126, 46-86, September .
- The Economic Returns to Higher Education in Chile: Revising the Foundations of 30 Years of Public Policies, , Estudios Públicos 125, 2-52, November .
- The Effects of Participation in Public Child Care Centers: Evidence from Chile, , Journal of Human Capital 6(1 ), 1-34
- Comparing IV With Structural Models: What Simple IV Can and Cannot Identify, , Journal of Econometrics 156(1 ), 27-37, May .
- Testing the Correlated Random Coefficient Model, , Journal of Econometrics 158(2 ), 177-203, October .
- The Education-Health Gradient, , American Economic Review (P&P) 100(2 ), 234-238, May .
- Measuring the Impact of Financial Intermediation: Linking Contract Theory to Econometric Policy Evaluation, , Macroeconomic Dynamics 13(S2 ), 268-316, September .
- Instrumental Variables in Models with Multiple Outcomes: The General Unordered Case, , Les Annales d’Economie et de Statistique 92, 151-174, December .
- Racial Labor Market Gaps: The Role of Abilities and Schooling Choices., , Journal of Human Resources 43(4 ), 919-971, October .
- Use of Instrumental Variables in the Presence of Heterogeneity and Self-Selection: An Application in Breast Cancer Patients, , Health Economics 16(11 ), 1133-1157, November .
- The Effects of Cognitive and Noncognitive Abilities on Labor Market Outcomes and Social Behavior, , Journal of Labor Economics 24(3 ), 411-482, July .
- Understanding Instrumental Variables in Models with Essential Heterogeneity, , Review of Economics and Statistics 88(3 ), 389-432, August .