Professor; Neil Moskowitz Professor of Economics
Professor Allan Drazen received his S.B. in 1972 and his Ph.D. in 1976 from MIT. His primary field of interest is Political Economy. He has also worked in the areas of Macroeconomics and International Economics. His current research includes motivations of political leaders (supported by a three-year grant from the National Science Foundation beginning in 2015), electoral economics, and campaign contributions and lobbying. He teaches graduate courses in Political Economy and Macroeconomics and an undegraduate Honors course on fairness and inequality in economics and politics.
- Political Economy
- BS MIT, 1972
- Ph.D. MIT, 1976
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|HONR259G||Fairness, Inequality, and Democracy||Fall 2017|
|ECON848||Workshop in International Development, and Comparative Economics||Spring 2017|
|ECON754||Topics in Political Economy I||Fall 2016|
|ECON848||Workshop in International Development, and Comparative Economics||Fall 2016|
|ECON848||Workshop in International Development, and Comparative Economics||Spring 2016|
|ECON754||Topics in Political Economy I||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
- Electoral Strategies: Persuasion, Mobilization, and Centrism , Allan Drazen, Emekcan Yucel , Working Paper , April 2016.
- A Structural Model of Electoral Accountability , S. Boragan Aruoba, Allan Drazen and Razvan Vlaicu , NBER Working Paper , April 2015.
- Does "Being Chosen to Lead" Induce Non-Selfish Behavior? Experimental Evidence on Reciprocity , Allan Drazen and Erkut Ozbay , Working paper , January 2015.
- How Do Budget Deficits and Economic Growth Affect Reelection Prospects? Evidence from a Large Panel of Countries , Adi Brender and Allan Drazen , American Economic Review 98(5) , 2203-2220 , December 2009.
- Consolidation of New Democracy, Mass Attitudes and Clientelism , Adi Brender and Allan Drazen , American Economic Review 99(2) , 304-309 , May 2009.
- A Bargaining Theory of Inefficient Redistribution Policies , Allan Drazen and Nuno Limão , International Economic Review 49(2) , 621-657 , May 2008.
- Political Implications of Fiscal Performance in OECD Countries , Adi Brender and Allan Drazen , Fiscal Indicators, Banca D'Italia, , 957-982 , March 2007.
- Political Budget Cycles in New Versus Established Democracies , Adi Brender and Allan Drazen , Journal of Monetary Economics 52(7) , 1271-1295 , October 2005.
- Government Gains from Self-Restraint: A Bargaining Theory of Inefficient Redistribution Policies , Allan Drazen and Nuno Limão , CEPR Discussion Paper No. 4007 , September 2003.
- Mixed Signals in Defending the Exchange Rate: What do the Data Say? , Allan Drazen and Stefan Hubrich , CEPR Discussion Paper No. 4050 , September 2003.
- Where Does the Political Budget Cycle Really Come From? , Adi Brender and Allan Drazen , CEPR Discussion Paper No. 4049 , September 2003.
- Conditionality and Ownership in IMF Lending: A Political Economy Approach , Allan Drazen , CEPR Discussion Paper No. 3562 , September 2002.
- Central Bank Independence, Democracy, and Dollarization , Allan Drazen , Journal of Applied Economics 5(1) , 1-17 , May 2002.
- Do Crises Induce Reform? Simple Empirical Tests of Conventional Wisdom , William Easterly and Allan Drazen , Economics and Politics 13(2) , 129-158 , July 2001.
- When Liberal Policies Reflect External Shocks, What Do We Learn? , Leonardo Bartolini and Allan Drazen , Journal of International Economics 42(3-4) , 249-273 , May 1997.
Department of Economics