Ginger Zhe Jin
Ginger Zhe Jin received her PHD from UCLA in 2000 and is currently Professor of Economics at the University of Maryland, College Park. She was on leave at the Federal Trade Commission in 2015-2017, and served as the Director of the FTC Bureau of Economics from January 2016 to July 2017. She has been Research Associate of NBER since 2012.
Most of her research focuses on information asymmetry among economic agents and how to provide information to overcome the information problem. The applications she has studied include restaurant food safety, health insurance, prescription drugs, e-commerce, online reviews, regulatory inspection, scientific innovation, air quality, blood donation, and the intrafamilial interaction between parents and children. Her research has been published in economics, management and marketing journals, with support from the National Science Foundation, the Net Institute, and the Sloan Foundation.
In October 2014, she co-founded Hazel Analytics, an analytics company that promotes the use of open government data. The company provides public access to a national database of retail food safety inspection results via InspectionRepo.com. It also develops proprietary technology to standardize and analyze food safety inspection data nationwide.
In June 2015, she co-organized the Research on Effective Government: Inspection and Compliance Workshop and co-led the effort to compile and maintain a research archive about inspection and compliance at umicra.com.
- Industrial Organization
- Information Economics
- Health Economics
- Economics of Family
- Ph.D. UCLA, 2000
- Falsified or Substandard? Assessing Price and Non-Price Signals of Drug Quality , Roger Bate, Gingner Jin and Aparna Mathur , Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 24(4) , 687-711 , December 2015.
- Employer Contribution and Premium Growth in Health Insurance , Ginger Jin and Yiyan (Echo) Liu , Journal of Health Economics 39 , 228-247 , January 2015.
- Inspection Technology, Detection and Compliance: Evidence from Florida Restaurant Inspections , Jungmin Lee and Ginger Jin , RAND Journal of Economics 45(4) , 885-917 , December 2014.
- Poor Drug Quality and Global Trade: A Pilot Study , Roger Bate, Ginger Jin, Aparna Mathur and Amir Attaran , NBER Working Paper , September 2014.
- Platform Pricing at Sportscard Conventions , Ginger Jin and Marc Rysman , Journal of Industrial Economics , July 2014.
- Seller Reputation: From Word-of-Mouth to Centralized Feedback , Hongbin Cai, Ginger Jin, Li-an Zhou and Chong Liu , International Journal of Industrial Organization 34 , 51-65 , May 2014.
- In Whom We Trust: The Role of Certification Agencies in Online Drug Markets , Roger Bate, Ginger Jin and Aparna Mathur , The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 14(1) , 111-150 , December 2013.
- The Promise of Beijing: Evaluating the Impact of the 2008 Olympic Games on Air Quality , Yuyu Chen, Ginger Jin, Naresh Kumar , and Guang Shi , Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 66(3) , 424-443 , November 2013.
- The Retraction Penalty: Evidence from the Web of Science , Susan Feng Lu, Ginger Jin, Ben Jones and Brian Uzzi , Scientific Reports , November 2013.
- Gaming in Air Pollution Data? Lessons from China , Yuyu Chen, Ginger Jin, Naresh Kumar , and Guang Shi , B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 12(3) , December 2012.
- The Informative Role of Advertising and Experience in Dynamic Brand Choice: an Application to the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Market , Yan Chen and Ginger Jin , Chapter 5 in Value of Information: Methodology Frontiers and New Applications in Environment and Health , July 2012.
- Love and Money by Parental Matchmaking: Evidence from Urban Couples in China , Fali Huang, Ginger Jin and Lixin Xu , American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 102(3) , 555-560 , May 2012.
- Does Health Insurance Coverage Lead to Better Health and Educational Outcomes? Evidence from Rural China , Yuyu Chen and Ginger Jin , Journal of Health Economics 31(1) , 1-14 , January 2012.
- Does Price Reveal Poor-Quality Drugs? Evidence from 17 Countries , Roger Bate, Ginger Jin and Aparna Mathur , Journal of Health Economics 30(6) , 1150-1163 , December 2011.
- Quality Disclosure and Certification: Theory and Practice , David Dranove and Ginger Jin , Journal of Economic Literature 48(4) , 935-963 , December 2010.
- That's News to Me! Information Revelation in Professional Certification Markets , Ginger Jin, John List and Andrew Kato , Economic Inquiry 48(1) , 104-122 , January 2010.
- Information, Learning, and Drug Diffusion: the Case of Cox-2 Inhibitors , Pradeep Chintagunta, Ginger Jin and Renna Jiang , Quantitative Marketing and Economics 7(4) , 399-443 , December 2009.
- Reputation Incentives for Restaurant Hygiene , Phillip Leslie and Ginger Jin , American Economic Journal: Microeconomics 1(1) , 237-267 , February 2009.
- Games Parents and Adolescents Play: Risky Behaviors, Parental Reputation and Strategic Transfers , V. Joseph Hotz, Lingxin Hao and Ginger Jin , The Economic Journal 118(528) , 515-555 , April 2008.
- Direct to Consumer Advertising and Prescription Choice , Ginger Jin and Toshiaki Iizuka , Journal of Industrial Economics 55(4) , 771 , December 2007.
- Dividing Online and Offline: A Case Study , Ginger Jin and Andrew Kato , Review of Economic Studies 74(3) , 981-1004 , July 2007.
- Price, Quality and Reputation: Evidence From An Online Field Experiment , Ginger Jin and Andrew Kato , RAND Journal of Economics 37(4) , 983-1005 , December 2006.
- Information and Consumer Choice: The Value of Publicized Health Plan Ratings , Ginger Jin and Alan Sorensen , Journal of Health Economics 25(2) , 248-275 , March 2006.
- The Effects of Prescription Drug Advertising on Doctor Visits , Ginger Jin and Toshiaki Iizuka , Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 14(3) , 701-727 , July 2005.
- Competition and Disclosure Incentives: An Empirical Study of HMOs , Ginger Jin , RAND Journal of Economics 36(1) , 93-112 , May 2005.
- The Case in Support of Resetaurant Hygiene Grade Cards , Ginger Jin and Phillip Leslie , Choices 20(2) , 97-102 , April 2005.
- Impact of Restaurant Hygiene Grade Cards on Foodborne Disease Hospitalizations in Los Angeles County , Phillip Leslie, Ginger Jin, Paul Simon, Grace Run, Roshan Reporter, Arturo Aguirre and Jonathan E. Fielding , Journal of Environmental Health 67(7) , 32-36 , March 2005.
- The Effects of Information on Product Quality: Evidence from Restaurant Hygiene Grade Cards , Phillip Leslie and Ginger Jin , Quarterly Journal of Economics 118(2) , 409-451 , May 2003.
Department of Economics