Professor Roger R. Betancourt received his PhD from the University of Wisconsin in 1970. He joined the Faculty at Maryland in 1969 and became Emeritus in 2007.
Among his main accomplishments at Maryland he would highlight Ph. D. dissertation advising. He is the first recipient in the Economics Department of the Mentorship Award from the Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences for this activity. His former students have raised funds to endow a Fellowship in Applied Economics recognizing this activity. The first Fellowship was awarded during the 2010-2011 academic year.
While Professor Betancourt no longer has any standard teaching or administrative duties at Maryland, he continues engaged in research on a regular basis as well as advising on a selective one. Throughout his career Professor Betancourt has been interested in the use of economics to understand real world problems. This orientation led him to become a frequent visitor engaged in teaching and research at business schools in the US and elsewhere, which he continues to do: INSEAD (Fountainebleau, France) in the 1980's and early 1990's; the Kermit O. Hanson Visiting Chair at the University of Washington Graduate School of Business in 1996; Departamento de Gestion de Empresas, Universidad Publica de Navarra (Pamplona, Spain) from 1997 to the present; Bozzone Visiting Scholar at The Lally School of Management and Technology, Rensselaer Polytechnic University, 2008; Affiliate Faculty in the Marketing Department of the Robert H. Smith School of Business at Maryland from 2004-2010; Keynote Speaker at the IV Scientific Meeting of the Ramon Areces Commercial Distribution Chair at the University of Oviedo (Asturias, Spain), 2012; Inaugural Lecturer at the Doctoral Colloquium of AEMARK Annual Meetings (Pamplona, Spain), 2015.
In terms of public service contributions Professor Betancourt would highlight one item. His role as one of the founders of the Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy in 1990. The latter is described in "The Origins of ASCE", which is available in the development section of the personal website. This association quickly became and still remains an important forum in the United States for well informed discussions of the Cuban economy broadly defined. He was its first President (1990-1992) and remains a frequent participant in the intellectual activities of the association, especially its annual meetings. The paper and proceedings of the latter are available at www.ascecuba.org. An illustration of his approach to the study of the Cuban economy is available in "A Novel Perspective on Cuba's Reforms" Cuban Affairs Vol. 10, No 1, April 2015. This article can be downloaded from the development section of the personal website.
With respect to research activities Professor Betancourt's major contributions lie in three substantive areas. 1) Production. A brief introduction to the topic underlying his main long term contributions in this area is available in "Capital Utilization" [entry in S. Durlauf and L. Blume (eds.)The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, 2nd edition, The Macmillan Press, 2008]. It can be downloaded from the production section of the personal website. 2) Retailing and distribution. A book that encompasses many of his contributions on this subject is the reference work The Economics of Retailing and Distribution, Edward Elgar Publishing, Ltd., 2004 [paperback edition (2006), Chinese translation by Renmin University Press (2009)]. A review paper updating these contributions and including the impact of Internet technology and modern contract forms such as relational contracts is "Distribution Services, Technological Change and the Evolution of Retailing in the Twenty-First Century", Ch. 4 in E. Basker (editor) Handbook on the Economics of Retailing and Distribution, Edward Elgar Publishing, Ltd., 2016. It can be downloaded from the distribution section of the personal website. 3) Institutions and development. An illustration of contributions in this area is "Unbundling Democracy: Political Rights and Civil Liberties"(with A. BenYishay), Journal of Comparative Economics, August 2014. It can be downloaded from the development section of the personal website.
Currently, Professor Betancourt is involved in several research projects that cover a variety of topics in the last two substantive areas. For additional information on these topics, please consult the CV or the personal website.
- Applied Microeconomics
- Economic Development
- Retailing and Distribution
- Private Sales Clubs: A 21st Century Distribution Channel , Roger R. Betancourt, Raquel Chocarro, Monica Cortinas, Margarita Elorz, Jose Miguel Mugica , Journal of Interactive Marketing 37(1) , 44-56 , February 2017.
- Distribution services, technological change and the evolution of retailing and distribution in the twenty-first century , Roger R. Betancourt , Handbook on the Economics of Retailing and Distribution (E. Basker ed.), Edward Elgar Publishing, Northampton., MA, USA Part I(Chapter 4) , 73-96 , March 2016.
- Channel Choice in the 21st Century: The Hidden Role of Distribution Services , Roger Betancourt, Raquel Chocarro, Monica Cortinas, Margarita Elorz, Jose Miguel Mugica , Journal of Interactive Marketing 33(February) , 1-12 , February 2016.
- A Novel Perspective on Cuba’s Reforms , Roger R. Betancourt , Cuban Affairs 10(1) , April 2015.
- Political Acceptance as an Alternative or Complement to Political Legitimacy: Concept, Measurement and Implications , Roger R. Betancourt and Alejandro Ponce , Society for Institutional & Organizational Economics , September 2014.
- Unbundling Democracy: Political Rights and Civil Liberties , Ariel BenYishay and Roger R. Betancourt , Journal of Comparative Economics 42(3) , 552-568 , August 2014.
- The Impact of Market Environments on Marketing Relationships , Roger R. Betancourt, Raquel Chocarro, Monica Cortinas, Margarita Elorz, Jose Miguel Mugica , International Journal of Marketing Studies 6(1) , 45-65 , February 2014.
- Why Cuba Remained a Colony While Latin America Became Independent: Implications for the Current ‘Transition’ , Roger R. Betancourt , Cuban Affairs 6(4) , December 2011.
- Civil Liberties and Economic Development , Ariel BenYishay and Roger R. Betancourt , Journal of Institutional Economics 6(3) , 281-304 , September 2010.
- The Political Will to Democratize in Cuba: An Implication for U.S. Policy , Roger R. Betancourt and Jorge A. Sanguinetty , Cuban Affairs 4(2) , July 2009.
- The Demand for and the Supply of Distribution Services: A Basis for the Analysis of Customer Satisfaction in Retailing , Roger R. Betancourt, Monica Cortiñas, Margarita Elorz, and Jose Miguel Mugica , Quantitative Marketing and Economics 5(3) , 293-312 , September 2007.
- The Distribution Sector and the Development Process: Are There Patterns? Yes , James H. Anderson and Roger R. Betancourt , Economic Inquiry 40(2) , 166-176 , April 2002.
- The Allocation of Publicly-Provided Goods to Rural Households in India: On Some Consequences of Caste, Religion and Democracy , Roger R. Betancourt and Suzanne Gleason , World Development 28(12) , 2169-2182 , December 2000.
- An Estimable Model of Supermarket Behavior: Prices, Distribution Services and Some Effects of Competition , Roger R. Betancourt and Margaret Malanoski , Empirica 26(1) , 55-73 , March 1999.
- Distribution Services and Economic Power in a Channel , Roger R. Betancourt and David A. Gautschi , Journal of Retailing 74(1) , 37-60 , January 1998.
- An International Comparison of the Determinants of Retail Gross Margins , Roger R. Betancourt and David A. Gautschi , Empirica 23(2) , 173-189 , June 1996.
- Growth Capabilities and Development: Implications for Transition Processes in Cuba , Roger R. Betancourt , Economic Development and Cultural Change 44(2) , 315-331 , January 1996.
- Are Financial Variables Inputs in Delivered Production Functions? No , Roger R. Betancourt and Miguel Kiguel , Revista de Analisis Economico 10(1) , 3-17 , June 1995.
- Two Essential Characteristics of Retail Markets and Their Economic Consequences , Roger R. Betancourt and David A. Gautschi , Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 21(3) , 277-294 , August 1993.
- The Outputs of Retail Activities: Concepts, Measurement and Evidence from U.S. Census Data , Roger R. Betancourt and David A. Gautschi , Review of Economics and Statistics 75(2) , 294-301 , May 1993.
- The Outputs of Retail Activities: French Evidence , Roger R. Betancourt and David A. Gautschi , Applied Economics 24(9) , June 1992.
- The Demand for Retail Products and the Household Production Model: New Views on Complementarity and Substitutability , Roger R. Betancourt and David A. Gautschi , Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 17(2) , 257-275 , March 1992.
- Demand Complementarities, Household Production, and Retail Assortments , Roger R. Betancourt and David A. Gautschi , Marketing Science 9(2) , 146-161 , May 1990.
- Credit, Money and Production: Empirical Evidence , Roger R. Betancourt and Barbara Robles , Review of Economics and Statistics 71(4) , 712-717 , November 1989.
- Neoconservative Economic Experiments in the Southern Cone , Roger R. Betancourt and Miguel Kiguel , Latin American Research Review 24(3) , 224-239 , October 1989.
- The Economics of Retail Firms , Roger R. Betancourt and David A. Gautschi , Managerial and Decision Economics 9(2) , 133-144 , June 1988.
- Capital Utilization in the Heckscher-Ohlin Model , Roger R. Betancourt, Christopher Clague, and Arvind Panagariya , International Trade Journal 2(1) , 1-22 , September 1987.
- Economies of Scale and the Load Factor in Electricity Generation , Roger R. Retancourt and John H. Y. Edwards , Review of Economics and Statistics 69(3) , 551-556 , August 1987.
- The Duration of Operations and the Estimation of Substitution Possibilities , Roger R. Betancourt , European Economic Review 30(6) , 1189-1195 , December 1986.
- A Generalization of Modern Production Theory , Roger R. Betancourt , Applied Economics 18(8) , 915-928 , August 1986.
- The Evolution of Retailing: A Suggested Economic Interpretation , Roger R. Betancourt and David A. Gautschi , International Journal of Retail Marketing 3(4) , 217-232 , April 1986.
- Capital Utilization and Factor Specificity , Roger R. Betancourt, Christopher Clague, and Arvind Panagariya , Review of Economic Studies 52(2) , 311-329 , April 1985.
- Trade and Factor Prices in a Model of Capital Utilization , Roger R. Betancourt, Christopher Clague, and Arvind Panagariya , Southern Economic Journal 50(3) , 734-742 , January 1984.
- Lagged Endogeneous Variables and the Cochrane-Orcutt Procedure , Roger R. Betancourt and Harry H. Kelejian , Econometrica 49(4) , 1073-1078 , July 1981.
- An Econometric Analysis of Peak Electricity Demand in the Short-Run , Roger R. Betancourt , Energy Economics 3(1) , 14-29 , January 1981.
- An Econometric Analysis of Capital Utilization , Roger R. Betancourt and Christopher Clague , International Economic Review 19(1) , 211-227 , February 1978.
- On the Consequences of Planning Interval Specification Error for the Estimation of Dynamic Models , Roger R. Betancourt , Journal of Econometrics 6(2) , 237-242 , September 1977.
- The Theory of Capital Utilization in Labor Managed Enterprises , Roger R. Betancourt and Christopher Clague , Quarterly Journal of Economics 91(3) , 453-467 , August 1977.
- Aggregation Theory and the Ideal Price Deflator: A Note , Roger R. Betancourt , Metroeconomica 29(2) , 183-186 , June 1977.
- Multiple Shifts and the Employment Problem in Developing Countries , Roger R. Betancourt and Christopher Clague , International Labour Review , September 1976.
- The Dynamics of Inflation in Latin America: Comment , Roger R. Betancourt , American Economic Review 66(4) , 688-691 , September 1976.
- An Economic Analysis of Capital Utilization , Roger R. Betancourt and Christopher Clague , Southern Economic Journal 42(1) , 69-78 , July 1975.
- Increasing Risk and Nonseparable Utility Functions , Roger R. Betancourt , Journal of Economic Theory 6(6) , 575-581 , December 1973.
- A Neo-Classical Model of Economic Growth with an Endogenously Positioned Technical Change Frontier: Comment , Lloyd Atkinson and Roger R. Betancourt , The Economic Journal 81(323) , 616-619 , September 1971.
- The Estimation of Price Elasticities from Cross-Section Data under Additive Preferences , Roger R. Betancourt , International Economic Review 12(2) , 283-292 , June 1971.
- The Normal Income Hypothesis in Chile , Roger R. Betancourt , Journal of the American Statistical Association 66(334) , 258-263 , June 1971.
- Intertemporal Allocation under Additive Preferences: Implications for Cross-Section Data , Roger R. Betancourt , Southern Economic Journal 37(4) , 458-468 , April 1971.
see teaching section of personal website for a complete list
Department of Economics