In order to declare Economics as your major you must:
- Review ECON degree requirements: Visit the new degree requirements page to select which curriculum track (Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science) you will pursue. Make sure to pay special attention to the requirements for each track to determine which you are eligible for and which best fits your goals.
Meet with an ECON Advisor: You may meet with any ECON advisor during our walk-in hours to discuss the major requirements, review departmental policies, and complete necessary paperwork.
- Complete Graduation Planning Workshop: Register on-line for a graduation planning workshop with BSOS Advising at www.bsosworkshops.umd.edu. Graduation Planning Workshops are offered online or in-person.
- Develop Graduation Plan: After the graduation planning workshop, complete your graduation plan. Note: If you attend the in-person workshop, you will be given a blank graduation planning worksheet. If you choose the online workshop, you will be directed to a blank electronic worksheet at the end of the presentation.
- Submit Paperwork to BSOS Advising: Submit your completed graduation plan to BSOS Advising in 2148 Tydings Hall for review. Note: It is recommended that students have an ECON advisor review their plan prior to submitting it to BSOS Advising (you can come in any time during walk-in advising hours).
- Wait for Approval of Graduation Plan: Once you have turned in your plan to BSOS advising, it will take up to 15 business days to process your major change. You will receive an email directly from BSOS advising when you major has been updated in the system or if there is a problem with your plan requiring additional steps.
Students wishing to avoid a delay in registration should initiate a change of major well in advance of their registration date for the next semester.
**NOTE: Neither BSOS Advising nor the Economics Department can lift blocks imposed by a student's current major. Permission will not be granted for courses restricted to ECON majors until AFTER a graduation plan has been approved by BSOS Advising.
For students wishing to add ECON as a second or third major:
University policy requires that a student have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in order to declare a double major or double degree in Economics. If you have any questions regarding this policy please visit an ECON advisor in 3108 Tydings Hall.