The Economics Undergraduate Advising Office provides a broad variety of services to assist undergraduate students in academic development. While our primary role is to advise Economics majors on strategies for degree completion, we also assist students on a number of related issues including: university policies, career choices, social and personal adjustment to university life, and opportunities such as study abroad and internships.
Advising for Economics majors is not mandatory. However, students are encouraged to meet with an advisor on a periodic basis to at least confirm progress in meeting degree requirements.
Advising Hours, Location, and Contact Information
ECON Advising offers both in-person and virtual services. Advisors are available Monday through Friday from 8am - 4:30pm by email, phone, scheduled appointments, and drop-in hours.
If you wish to utilize our in-person services, you must be in compliance with UMD's current COVID-19 guidelines. If you are not in compliance, are sick, or perfer to limit your in-person interactions, then you can utilize our virtual services: Zoom appointments, email, or call an advisor directly.
- EMAIL - The best way to reach ECON advising is through email at econadvising [at] umd [dot] edu. If you prefer to email a specific advisor directly, see below for direct contact information.
- PHONE - You can call the ECON Advising Office front desk at 301-405-8367 to be directed to an available advisor. You can also call an advisor direclty using the numbers below. You do not need an appointment. If the advisor does not answer, they may be working with another student or in a meeting so leave a voice message and they will return your call.
- SCHEDULED APPOINTMENTS - 30 minute advising appointments conducted in-person or via Zoom are available Monday through Friday from 9am - 10am & 1pm - 4pm. To schedule an appointment log into the TerpEngage ECON Advising Team page using your directory ID and password. Be sure to select appointment location. In-person appointments will take place in 3108 Tydings Hall. Students who select virtual Zoom appointment will receive a Zoom link to use at the time of their appointment. If you need to cancel, reschedule, or change your appointment location from in-person to virtual (or vice versa) go to the TerpEngage homepage or call/email your advisor.
- DROP-INS - If you have a question about your class schedule, course registration, course permissions, etc. you can meet with an advisor in 3108 Tydings Hall without an appointment during the specified days and times listed below for Drop-in Hours. (Drop-ins are reserved for brief 10-15 minute meetings. For more extensive questions, schedule a 30 minute appointment above.)
***Drop-in hours are currently Monday - Friday 10am - 12pm***
NOTE: All students who wish to declare ECON as their major must be complete a several step process which is outlined in detail here.
3108D Tydings Hall
pnance [at] umd [dot] edu
3108A Tydings Hall
amszczep [at] umd [dot] edu
Shanna Edinger May
Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies
3108C Tydings Hall
sedinge1 [at] umd [dot] edu
Other Advising Resources on Campus
- Joel and Kim Feller Advising & Career Planning Center in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Education Abroad Appointments
- Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy (MICA) Personal Advising Services
- Undocumented Student Resources
- Career Center Appointments
- Accessibility & Disability Services Appointments
- Pre-Law Advising
- Reed-Yorke Health Professions Advising