Andrew Sweeting, Associate Professor, received his PhD in Economics from MIT in 2004 and he has previously worked at Northwestern University (2004-2007) and at Duke University (2007-2013). Andrew has been a Faculty Research Fellow of the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) since 2007. His research and teaching interests are in the field of Industrial Organization. Much of his research involves combining theory and structural empirical work to shed light on policy questions (e.g., the design of auctions, the effects of changes to performance rights fees on market structure in the radio industry, merger analysis in airline markets), as well as trying to understand how different types of firm behave (e.g., do sellers price as theory predicts in secondary markets for event tickets?). Recent published work has appeared in Econometrica, the American Economic Review, the Journal of Political Economy and the RAND Journal of Economics. Andrew is also an Editor of the Journal of Industrial Economics, a Foreign Editor at the Review of Economic Studies, placement director for the UMD Ph.D. program and organizer of the annual DC IO Conference. Before doing a PhD, Andrew was an economic consultant in London and Brussels.
- Industrial Organization
- Applied Econometrics
- Market Design
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2004
- Bailouts and the Preservation of CompetitionThe Case of the Federal Timber Contract Payment Modification Act , James Roberts, Andrew Sweeting , American Economic Journal: Microeconomics 8(3) , 257-288 , August 2016.
- Selective Entry and Auction Design , Vivek Bhattacharya and Andrew Sweeting , International Journal of Industrial Organization 43 , 189-207 , November 2015.
- Bailouts and the Preservation of Competition. , James Roberts and Andrew Sweeting , American Economic Journal: Microeconomics Forthcoming , July 2015.
- Regulating Bidder Participation in Auctions , Vivek Bhattacharya, James Roberts, and Andrew Sweeting , The RAND Journal of Economics 45(4) , 675-704 , October 2014.
- Multiplicity of Equilibria and Information Structures in Empirical Games: Challenges and Prospects , Ron Borkovsky, Paul Ellickson, Brett Gordon, and Andrew Sweeting , Marketing Letters 26(2) , 115-125 , June 2014.
- Dynamic Product Positioning in Differentiated Product Industries: The Effect of Fees for Musical Performance Rights on the Commercial Radio Industry. , Andrew Sweeting , Econometrica 81(5) , 1763-1803 , September 2013.
- When Should Sellers Use Auctions? , James Roberts and Andrew Sweeting , American Economic Review 103(5) , 1830-1861 , August 2013.
- Price Dynamics in Perishable Goods Markets: The Case of Secondary Markets for Major League Baseball Tickets. , Andrew Sweeting , Journal of Political Economy 120(6) , 1133-1172 , December 2012.
- The Effects of Mergers on Product Positioning: Evidence from the Music Radio Industry , Andrew Sweeting , RAND Journal of Economics 41(2) , 372-397 , July 2010.
- The Strategic Timing of Radio Commercials: An Empirical Analysis Using Multiple Equilibria , Andrew Sweeting , RAND Journal of Economics 40(4) , 710-742 , October 2009.
- Market Power in the England and Wales Wholesale Electricity Market 1995-2000 , Andrew Sweeting , The Economic Journal 117(520) , 654-685 , April 2007.
- Coordination, Differentiation and the Timing of Radio Commercials , Andrew Sweeting , Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 15(4) , 909-942 , December 2006.
|Professional||Editor, Journal of Industrial Economics|
|Professional||Foreign Editor, Review of Economic Studies|
Daisy DaiAssistant Professor, Lehigh University
Joe MazurAssistant Professor, Purdue University
Chung-Ying LeeAssistant Professor, National University of Taiwan
Yair TaylorEconomist, US Department of Justice
Department of Economics