Ethan Kaplan joined the department as an Assistant Professor in 2011. Before joining the department, he had previously been an Assistant Professor of Economics at the Institute for International Economic Studies at Stockholm University. He obtained his Ph.D. from UC Berkeley in 2005. His main area of research is empirical political economy and applied micro-econometrics. His research has focused on media economics, the determination and persistence of political preferences, interest group behavior, and the political economy of U.S. intervention. More recently, in addition to his research on political economy, he has started a sequence of projects using applied micro-econometric techniques to investigate macroecononic questions.
- Political Economics
- Applied Micro-Econometrics
- Labor Economics
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 2005
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON175||Inequality: Determinants and Policy Remedies||Fall 2016|
|ECON326||Intermediate Microeconomic Analysis||Fall 2016|
|ECON808||Workshop on Macroeconomics and Growth; Workshop in Applied Economics||Fall 2016|
|ECON756||Empirical Political Economics||Spring 2016|
|ECON175||Inequality: Determinants and Policy Remedies||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
|ECON326||Intermediate Microeconomic Analysis||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
- Excess Capacity and Heterogeneity in the Fiscal Multiplier: Evidence from the Obama Stimulus Package , Arindrajit Dube, Ethan Kaplan and Ben Zipperer , Working paper , August 2014.
- The Political Economy of Discretionary Spending: Evidence from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act , Christopher Boone, Arindrajit Dube, and Ethan Kaplan , Brookings Papers on Economic Activity , June 2014.
- The Persistence of Political Partisanship: Evidence from 9/11 , Ethan Kaplanyand Sharun Mukand , Working Paper , February 2014.
- Nurse Unions and Patient Outcomes , Arindrajit Dube, Ethan Kaplan, and Owen Thompson , Working paper , November 2013.
- The Iceberg Theory of Campaign Contributions: Political Threats and Interest Group Behavior , Marcos Chamon and Ethan Kaplan , American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 5(1) , 1-31 , February 2013.
- Political Polarization and the Dynamics of Political Language: Evidence from 130 Years of Partisan Speech , Jacob Jensen, Ethan Kaplan, Suresh Naidu and Laurence Wilse-Samson , Brookings Papers on Economic Activity 45(2) , 1-81 , September 2012.
- Occupy Wall Street and the Political Economy of Inequality , Arindrajit Dube and Ethan Kaplan , The Economist's Voice 9(3) , March 2012.
- Coups, Corporations, and Classified Information , Arindrajit Dube, Ethan Kaplan and Suresh Naidu , Quarterly Journal of Economics 126(3) , 1375-1409 , August 2011.
- Does Outsourcing Reduce Wages in the LowWage Service Occupations? Evidence from Janitors and Guards , Arindrajit Dube and Ethan Kaplan , Industrial and Labor Relations Review 63(2) , 287-306 , January 2010.
- The Political Impact of Media Bias , Ethan Kaplan and Stefano Della Vigna , The Effects of Mass Media on Public Policy , January 2008.
- The Fox News Effect: Media Bias and Voting , Ethan Kaplan and Stefano Della Vigna , Quarterly Journal of Economics 122(3) , 1187-1234 , August 2007.
- Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work? , Ethan Kaplan and Dani Rodrik , Managing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, ed. by Sebastian Edwards and Jeffrey Frankel , 393-440 , January 2002.
- Aggregate Demand Externalities and Labor Supply Decisions: Worker Discouragement and Market Inefficiency , Arindrajit Dube and Ethan Kaplan , Economics Letters 56(1) , 89-94 , September 1997.
Department of Economics