The University of Maryland Department of Economics announces the formation of a new Economics Leadership Council (ELC). This newly appointed council will help promote students, alumni and faculty from the UMD Department of Economics in a variety of areas and elevate the reputation of the department regionally, nationally and internationally.
Specific activities of the ELC will include:
- Providing internships and advice to students
- Creating student scholarships
- Encouraging a diverse population of students to pursue careers in economics
- Helping the department attract strong undergraduate and graduate students
- Supporting graduate student and faculty research
- Assisting the department with outreach to the business, non-profit and policy communities
“I am thrilled at the interest and involvement of our alumni, and would especially like to thank the inaugural members of the Economics Leadership Council. The department is truly fortunate to have such support,” said Dr. Maureen Cropper, Chair of the Department of Economics.
Members of the first ELC:
- Kabir Chaudhary (BA ’05): Chief Executive Officer & President, NIKA
- Ed DeMarco (PhD ’91): President, Housing Policy Council; Former Director, Federal Housing Finance Agency
- Aparna Mathur (PhD ’05): Resident Scholar, American Enterprise Institute
- Thomas McCarthy (PhD ’80): Senior Vice President & Managing Director, NERA Economic Consulting
- Ahmed Mushfiq Mobarak (PhD ’02): Professor of Economics, Yale University
- Frank Nitkiewicz (BA ’83): Executive VP & Chief Financial Officer, Federal Home Loan Bank of Boston
- Andrew Palmer (BA/MA ’81,’84): Chief Investment Officer, Maryland State Retirement and Pension System
- Gary Rozier (BA ’99): Senior Vice President, Institutional Marketing & Client Services, Ariel Investments
- John Sabelhaus (BA/MA/PhD ’82,’84,’88): Assistant Director, Research and Statistics Division, Federal Reserve Board
- Robert Satterfield (BA ’95): Senior Vice President, Investments, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management
- Todd Snyder (BA/BS/JD ’85,’89,’94): Founding Member, Snyder Kearney, LLC
- Chad Syverson (MA/PhD ’98,’01): Eli B. and Harriet B. Williams Professor of Economics, The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- Thomas Teles (BA ’92): Partner, Goldman Sachs, 2006-2018
- Mark Turner (PhD ’96): Founder, President, CEO & Principal Research Associate, Optimal Solutions Group LLC.