Professor Urzua received his PhD from the University of Chicago in 2007 and his BA from the University of Chile in 2001. He is Research Associate at the NBER and a Research Fellow at IZA. His research has focused on the role of cognitive and noncognitive abilities, and uncertainty as determinants of schooling decisions, labor market outcomes and social behavior. His research in econometrics is mainly concerned with the estimation of selection models with unobserved heterogeneity. Recently, he has analyzed the effects of early endowments on academic and labor market outcomes. His research agenda includes the evaluation of social programs in developing economies. He teaches in the area of Labor Economics and Econometrics.
- Applied Econometrics
- Ph.D. University of Chicago, 2007
- BA University of Chile, 2001
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON422||Econometrics I||Spring 2017|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Spring 2017|
|ECON772||Population Economics||Spring 2017|
|ECON472||Social Safety Nets||Spring 2017|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Fall 2016|
|ECON878||Workshop in Labor Economics||Fall 2016|
|ECON422||Econometrics I||Spring 2016|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Spring 2016|
|ECON422||Econometrics I||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
|ECON771||Advanced Labor Economics: Theory and Evidence||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
- One Size Does Not Fit All: Multiple Dimensions of Ability, College Attendance and Earnings , Maria Prada, and Sergio Urzua , Journal of Labor Economics
- Heterogeneous Economic Returns to Postsecondary Degrees: Evidence from Chile , Jorge Rodriguez, Sergio Urzua, and Loreto Reyes , Journal of Human Resources 51(2) , April 2016.
- Implementing Factor Models with Unobserved Heterogeneity in Stata: The heterofactor command , Miguel Sarzosa, and Sergio Urzua , Stata Journal 156(1) , January 2016.
- Early Exposure to Hazardous Waste and Academic Achievement: Evidence from a Case of Environmental Negligence , Tomas Rau, Sergio Urzua, and Loreto Reyes , Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists 2 , 527-563 , December 2015.
- Cost benefit analysis of an integrated ECD program in a low-income country , F. Lopez Boo, G. Palloni, and S. Urzua , Annals of the New York Academy of Science 1308 , 129-138 , June 2014.
- Economic Perspectives on Integrating Early Child Stimulation with Nutritional Interventions , H. Alderman, J. Behrman, S. Grantham-McGregor, F. Lopez Boo, S. Urzua , Annals of the New York Academy of Science 1308 , 139-148
- The Labor Market Return to an Attractive Face: Evidence from a Field Experiment , F. Lopez Boo, M. Rossi, and Sergio Urzua , Economics Letters 118(1) , 170-172 , January 2013.
- Economic Perspectives on Some Important Dimensions of Early Childhood Development in Developing Countries , Jere Behrman, and Sergio Urzua , Handbook of Early Childhood Development Research and Its Impact on Global Policy, Rebello, P., Engle, P., and Super, C. (Eds). Oxford University Press, 2013
- The Economic Returns to Higher Education in Chile: Revising the Foundations of 30 Years of Public Policies , Sergio Urzua , Estudios Públicos 125 , 2-52 , November 2012.
- The Demand and Supply of Early Education in Chile , Loreto Reyes, and Sergio Urzua , Estudios Públicos 126 , 46-86 , September 2012.
- The Effects of Participation in Public Child Care Centers: Evidence from Chile , G. Noboa-Hidalgo and Sergio Urzua , Journal of Human Capital 6(1) , 1-34
- Testing the Correlated Random Coefficient Model , J. Heckman, D. Schmierer, and Sergio Urzua , Journal of Econometrics 158(2) , 177-203 , October 2010.
- Comparing IV With Structural Models: What Simple IV Can and Cannot Identify , J. Heckman and Sergio Urzua , Journal of Econometrics 156(1) , 27-37 , May 2010.
- The Education-Health Gradient , G. Conti, J. Heckman, and Sergio Urzua , American Economic Review (P&P) 100(2) , 234-238 , May 2010.
- Measuring the Impact of Financial Intermediation: Linking Contract Theory to Econometric Policy Evaluation , R. Townsend and Sergio Urzua , Macroeconomic Dynamics 13(S2) , 268-316 , September 2009.
- Instrumental Variables in Models with Multiple Outcomes: The General Unordered Case , J. Heckman, Sergio Urzua, and E. Vytlacil , Les Annales d’Economie et de Statistique 92 , 151-174 , December 2008.
- Racial Labor Market Gaps: The Role of Abilities and Schooling Choices. , Sergio Urzua , Journal of Human Resources 43(4) , 919-971 , October 2008.
- Use of Instrumental Variables in the Presence of Heterogeneity and Self-Selection: An Application in Breast Cancer Patients , A. Basu, J. Heckman, S. Navarro, and Sergio Urzua , Health Economics 16(11) , 1133-1157 , November 2007.
- Understanding Instrumental Variables in Models with Essential Heterogeneity , J. Heckman, Sergio Urzua, and E. Vytlacil , Review of Economics and Statistics 88(3) , 389-432 , August 2006.
- The Effects of Cognitive and Noncognitive Abilities on Labor Market Outcomes and Social Behavior , J. Heckman, J. Stixrud, and Sergio Urzua , Journal of Labor Economics 24(3) , 411-482 , July 2006.
Department of Economics