Lesley J. Turner
Lesley J. Turner is an assistant professor of economics at the University of Maryland, faculty research fellow of the National Bureau of Economic Research, CESifo research affiliate, and a faculty associate of the Maryland Population Research Center. Her research applies theory and methods from labor and public economics to topics in education economics and broadly considers the role government should play in providing and financing education. Her work on K–12 education policy has examined the impact of school accountability measures on student achievement, of incentive pay for teachers on student achievement and teacher effort, and of school and classroom gender composition on student achievement. Regarding higher education, Turner has studied how postsecondary institutions strategically respond to need-based student aid to estimate the economic incidence of the Pell Grant Program, the impact of Pell Grant aid on educational attainment and borrowing, and how price shocks affect undocumented students’ educational attainment. She was awarded the Upjohn Institute Dissertation award for the best PhD dissertation in labor economics in 2012 and received the CESifo Distinguished Young Affiliate Prize in 2015.
- Ph.D. Columbia University, Department of Economics, 2012
- MA Columbia University, Department of Economics, 2009
- MPP University of Michigan, Ford School of Public Policy, 2005
- BA University of Michigan, Department of Sociology, 2004
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Spring 2017|
|ECON454||Public Finance and Public Policy||Spring 2016||Syllabus|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Spring 2016|
|ECON652||Public Economics I||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
- Borrowing Trouble? Human Capital Investment with Opt-In Costs and Implications for the Effectiveness of Grant Aid , Benjamin M. Marx and Lesley J. Turner , American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 10(2) , 163-201 , April 2018.
- The Impact of Tuition Increases on Undocumented College Students' Attainment , Dylan Conger and Lesley J. Turner , NBER Working Paper , April 2015.
- The Effect of Medicaid Policies on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Children's Mental Health Problems in Primary Care , Lesley J. Turner , Health Economics 24(2) , 142-157 , February 2015.
- All or Nothing? The Impact of School and Classroom Gender Composition on Effort and Academic Achievement. , Kyunghee Kim, Soohyung Lee, Lesley J. Turner, and Seokjin Woo , NBER Working Paper , December 2014.
- The Road to Pell is Paved with Good Intentions: The Economic Incidence of Federal Student Grant Aid , Lesley J. Turner , Working paper , August 2014.
- The Design of Teacher Incentive Pay and Educational Outcomes: Evidence from the New York City Bonus Program , Lesley J. Turner and Sarena Goodman , Journal of Labor Economics 31(2) , 409-420 , April 2013.
- Short-Run Impacts of Accountability on School Quality , Jonah Rockoff and Lesley J. Turner , American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 2(4) , 119-147 , November 2010.
- The Relationship between Income and Material Hardship , Sheldon Danziger, James X. Sullivan, and Lesley J. Turner , Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 27(1) , 63-81 , December 2007.
- Failing the Transition from Welfare to Work: Women Chronically Disconnected from Employment and Cash Welfare , Sheldon Danziger, Kristin S. Seefeldt, and Lesley J. Turner , Social Science Quarterly 87(2) , 227-249 , June 2006.
Department of Economics