Yusufcan Masatlioglu joined the Department of Economics as an Associate Professor in Fall 2016. He obtained his Ph.D. in Economics from New York University, after which he joined the faculty of the University of Michigan. Prof. Masatlioglu has developed a research agenda in the area of bounded rationality and decision theory. He is best known for his work on the theoretical foundations of reference-dependent choice, time preference, limited attention, bounded rationality and willpower. His work has been published in leading academic journals including the American Economic Review, and the Review of Economic Studies. He recently received a National Science Foundation grant for his work on limited attention.
- Ph.D. New York University
- When more is less: Limited consideration , Juan Sebastián Lleras, Yusufcan Masatlioglu, Daisuke Nakajima, Erkut Y. Ozbay , Journal of Economic Theory 170 , 78-85 , July 2017.
- Limited attention and status quo bias , Mark Dean, Özgür Kıbrıs, Yusufcan Masatlioglu , Journal of Economic Theory 169 , 93–127 , May 2017.
- A Behavioral Analysis of Stochastic Reference Dependence , Yusufcan Masatlioglu and Collin Raymond , American Economic Review 106(9) , 2760-2782 , September 2016.
- Completing Incomplete Revealed Preference under Limited Attention , Yusufcan Masatlioglu and Daisuke Nakajima , The Japanese Economic Review 66(3) , 285-299 , September 2015.
- Managing Markets for Toxic Assets , Christopher L. House and Yusufcan Masatlioglu , Journal of Monetary Economics 70 , 84–99 , March 2015.
- A Foundation for Strategic Agenda Voting , Jose Apesteguia, Miguel A. Ballester, and Yusufcan Masatlioglu , Games and Economic Behavior 87 , 91-99 , September 2014.
- A Canonical Model of Choice with Initial Endowments , Yusufcan Masatlioglu and Efe A. Ok , Review of Economic Studies 81(2) , 851-883 , April 2014.
- Understanding the Reference Effect , Yusufcan Masatlioglu and Neslihan Uler , Games and Economic Behavior, 82 , 403–423 , November 2013.
- Choice by Iterative Search , Yusufcan Masatlioglu and Daisuke Nakajima , Theoretical Economics 8(3) , 701–728 , September 2013.
- Behavioral Mechanism Design: Evidence from the Modified First-Price Auctions , Yusufcan Masatlioglu, Sarah Taylor, and Neslihan Uler , Review of Economic Design 16(2-3) , 159-173 , September 2012.
- Revealed Attention , Yusufcan Masatlioglu, Daisuke Nakajima, and Erkut Ozbay , American Economic Review 102(5) , 2183-2205 , August 2012.
- Informality Traps , Yusufcan Masatlioglu and Jamele Rigolini , B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy 8(1) , December 2008.
- A Theory of (Relative) Discounting , Efe A. Ok and Yusufcan Masatlioglu , Journal of Economic Theory 137(1) , 214-245 , November 2007.
- Rational choice with status quo bias , Yusufcan Masatlioglu and Efe A. Ok , Journal of Economic Theory 121(1) , 1–29 , March 2005.
- Utility Representation via Additive or Multiplicative Error Functions , Fuad Aleskerov and Yusufcan Masatlioglu , Discrete Applied Mathematics 127(2) , 181-197
- Numerical Representation of Binary Relation with a Multiplicative Error Function , Yusufcan Masatlioglu , Information Sciences , 187-200
Department of Economics