Nuno Limão's research focuses on international trade, trade policy, and political economy. His research integrates theoretical and empirical work to examine a variety of issues, such as how governments choose among redistribution policies, the determinants of trade policy and trade agreements, and the effects of trade costs and geographic location.
Professor Limão's current research examines how firms and consumers are affected by policy uncertainty and the role for international institutions in managing such uncertainty. Professor Limão is a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy and an Associate Editor of the Journal of International Economics. He received his BSc in economics from the London School of Economics in 1996 and his PhD from Columbia University in 2001.
- International Trade
- Trade Policy
- Political Economy
- Ph.D. Columbia University, 2001
- BSc London School of Economics, 1996
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON396||Independent Honors Study||Fall 2017|
|ECON397||Honors Thesis||Spring 2017|
|ECON396||Independent Honors Study||Fall 2016|
|ECON742||Advanced International Economics II||Fall 2016|
|ECON397||Honors Thesis||Spring 2016|
|ECON396||Independent Honors Study||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
|ECON742||Advanced International Economics II||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
- Policy Uncertainty, Trade and Welfare: Theory and Evidence for China and the U.S. , Kyle Handley, Nuno Limao , American Economic Review 107(9) , 2731-2783 , September 2017.
- Preferential Trade Agreements , Nuno Limão , Handbook of Commercial Policy 1 , 279-367
- Trade and Investment under Policy Uncertainty: Theory and Firm Evidence , Kyle Handley and Nuno Limão , American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 7(4) , 189-222 , November 2015.
- Uncertainty and Trade Agreements , Nuno Limão and Giovanni Maggi , American Economic Journal Micro 7(4) , 1-42 , November 2015.
- Size Inequality, Coordination Externalities and International Trade Agreements , Nuno Limão and Kamal Saggi , European Economic Review 63 , 10-27 , October 2013.
- Review of The Great Recession and Import Protection , Nuno Limão , Journal of International Economics 88(1) , 209-210 , September 2012.
- Policy Choice: Theory and Evidence from Commitment via International Trade Agreements , Nuno Limão and Patricia Tovar Rodriguez , Journal of International Economics 85(2) , 186-205 , November 2011.
- Optimal Tariffs and Market Power: The Evidence , Christian Broda, Nuno Limão, and David Weinstein , American Economic Review 98(5) , 2032-2065 , December 2008.
- Tariff Retaliation versus Financial Compensation in the Enforcement of International Trade Agreements , Nuno Limão and Kamal Saggi , Journal of International Economics 76(1) , 48-60 , September 2008.
- The Clash of Liberalizations: Preferential vs. Multilateral Trade Liberalization in the European Union , Baybars Karacaovali and Nuno Limão , Journal of International Economics 74(2) , 299-327 , March 2008.
- Optimal Tariffs , Nuno Limão , New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, ed. by Steven N. Durlauf and Lawrence E. Blume, Palgrave Macmillan 2 , January 2008.
- Are Preferential Trade Agreements with Non-trade Objectives a Stumbling Block for Multilateral Liberalization? , Nuno Limão , Review of Economic Studies 74(3) , 821-855 , July 2007.
- Inequality and Endogenous Trade Policy Outcomes , Nuno Limão and Arvind Panagariya , Journal of International Economics 72(2) , 292-309 , July 2007.
- Preferential vs. Multilateral Trade Liberalization: Evidence and Open Questions , Nuno Limão , World Trade Review 5(2) , 155-176 , July 2006.
- Preferential Trade Agreements as Stumbling Blocks for Multilateral Trade Liberalization: Evidence for the U.S. , Nuno Limão , American Economic Review 96(3) , 896-914 , June 2006.
- Trade Preferences to Small Developing Countries and the Welfare Costs of Lost Multilateral Liberalization , Nuno Limão and Marcelo Olarreaga , World Bank Economic Review 20(2) , 217-240 , June 2006.
- Trade Policy, Cross-Border Externalities and Lobbies: Do Linked Agreements Enforce More Cooperative Outcomes? , Nuno Limão , Journal of International Economics 67(1) , 175-199 , September 2005.
- Anti-trade Bias in Trade Policy and General Equilibrium , Nuno Limão and Arvind Panagariya , The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 3(1) , 1538-1645 , September 2004.
- Government Gains from Self-Restraint: A Bargaining Theory of Inefficient Redistribution Policies , Allan Drazen and Nuno Limão , CEPR Discussion Paper No. 4007 , September 2003.
- Geographical Disadvantage: a Hecksher-Ohlin-Von-Thunen Model of International Specialisation , Nuno Limão and Anthony Venables , Journal of International Economics 58(2) , 239-263 , December 2002.
- Infrastructure, Geographical Disadvantage, Transport Costs and Trade , Nuno Limão and Anthony Venables , World Bank Economic Review 15(3) , 451-479 , January 2001.
Department of Economics