Professor; Neil Moskowitz Professor of Economics
Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan is a Neil Moskowitz Professor of Economics. She is a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) and a Research Fellow at the Center for Economic Policy Research (CEPR).
A native of Turkey, Professor Kalemli-Ozcan received her BS in Economics from Middle East Technical University in 1995 and her PhD in Economics from Brown University in 2000. She was the Duisenberg Fellow at the European Central Bank in Spring 2008 and held a position as lead economist/advisor for the Middle East and North Africa Region at the World Bank during 2010-2011.
Professor Kalemli-Ozcan has published extensively in the areas of international finance, international development and applied growth theory in journals such asAmerican Economic Review, Journal of Finance, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of International Economics, andJournal of Development Economics. Her work has also appeared in many invited book volumes, policy outlets, and featured in editorials and World Bank and IMF Annual Reports. She is the first Turkish social scientist who has received the Marie Curie IRG prize in 2008 for her research on European Financial Integration.
Her current research focuses on measuring the globalization of European firms and banks and investigating the linkages between real and financial sectors in a globalized economy together with the effects of such linkages on economic fluctuations and development.
- International Macroeconomics and Finance
- International Development
- Ph.D. Brown University, 2000
- BS Middle East Technical University, 1995
- Capital Allocation and Productivity in South Europe , Gita Gopinath, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Loukas Karabarbounis, Carolina Villegas-Sanchez , The Quarterly Journal of Economics , June 2017.
- What Hinders Investment in the Aftermath of Financial Crises: Insolvent Firms or Illiquid Banks? , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Herman Kamil, and Carolina Villegas-Sanchez , Review of Economics and Statistics 98(4) , 756–769 , October 2016.
- Emergence of Asia: Reforms, Corporate Savings, and Global Imbalances , Jingting Fan and Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan , IMF Economic Review , December 2015.
- Sovereign Debt and Financial Crisis, Introduction , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Carmen Reinhart and Ken Rogoff , Journal of European Economic Association , November 2015.
- How to Construct Nationally Representative Firm Level Data from the ORBIS Global Database , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Bent Sorensen, Carolina Villegas-Sanchez, Vadym Volosovych, and Sevcan Yesiltas , NBER working paper 21558 , September 2015.
- Capital Allocation and Productivity in South Europe , Gita Gopinath, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Loukas Karabarbounis and Carolina Villegas-Sanchez , NBER Working Paper , July 2015.
- Financial Shocks in Production Chains , Hyun Song Shin, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Se-Jik Kim, Bent Sorensen, and Sevcan Yesiltas , Working paper , January 2015.
- Deep Financial Integration and Macroeconomic Volatility , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Bent Sorensen, and Vadym Volosovych , Journal of European Economic Association 12(6) , 1558-1585 , December 2014.
- Sovereigns, Upstrems Capital Flows, and Global Imbalances , Laura Alfaro, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Vadym Volosovych , Journal of European Economic Association 12(5) , 1240-1284 , October 2014.
- Debt Crisis and Risk Sharing: The Role of Markets versus Sovereigns , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Bent Sørensen and Emiliano Luttini , Scandinavian Journal of Economics 116(1) , 253-276 , January 2014.
- HIV and Fertility in Africa: First-Evidence from Population Based Surveys , Chinhui Juhn, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Belgi Turan , Journal of Population Economics 26(3) , 835-853 , July 2013.
- How Big are the Gains from International Financial Integration? , Indrit Hoxha, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Dietz Vollrath , Journal of Development Economics 103 , 90-98 , July 2013.
- Financial Regulation, Financial Globalization and the Synchronization of Economic Activity , Elias Papaioannou, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Jose Luis Peydro , Journal of Finance 68(3) , 1179-1228 , May 2013.
- Global Banks and Crisis Transmission , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Elias Papaioannou and Fabrizio Perri , Journal of International Economics 89(2) , 495-510 , March 2013.
- Quantifying the Productivity Gains from Foreign Investment , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Bent Sorensen, Vadym Volosovych, Carolina Villegas-Sanchez, and Christian Fons-Rosen , NBER working paper 18920 , March 2013.
- Leverage Across Firms, Banks, and Countries , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Bent Sorensen and Sevcan Yesiltas , Journal of International Economics 88(2) , 284-298 , November 2012.
- AIDS, Reversal of the Demographic Transition and Economic Development: Evidence from Africa , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan , Journal of Population Economics 25(3) , 871-897 , July 2012.
- Risk Sharing Through Capital Gains , Faruk Balli, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Bent Sorensen , Canadian Journal of Economics 45(2) , 472-492 , May 2012.
- HIV and Fertility Revisited , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Belgi Turan , Journal of Development Economics 96(1) , 61-65 , September 2011.
- Does Trade Cause Capital to Flow? Evidence from Historical Rainfalls , Sebnem Kalemli–Ozcan and Alex Nikolsko–Rzhevskyy , NBER working paper 16034 , May 2011.
- Why Does Capital Flow to Rich States? , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Bent Sorensen, Ariell Reshef, and Oved Yosha , The Review of Economics and Statistics 92(4) , 769-783 , November 2010.
- Mortality Decline, Human Capital Investment and Economic Growth , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Harl Ryder, and David N. Weil , Journal of Development Economics 62(1) , 1-23 , June 2010.
- What Lies Beneath the Euro's Effect on Financial Integration? Currency Risk, Legal Harmonization, or Trade? , Elias Papaioannou, Jose Luis Peydro and Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan , Journal of International Economics 81(1) , 75-88 , May 2010.
- Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Economic Growth? Exploring the Effects of Financial Markets on Linkages , Laura Alfaro, Areendam Chanda, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Selin Sayek , Journal of Development Economics 91(2) , 242-256 , March 2010.
- Mortality Change, the Uncertainty Effect and the Retirement , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and David N. Weil , Journal of Economic Growth 15(1) , 65-91 , February 2010.
- FDI, Productivity and Financial Development , Laura Alfaro, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Selin Sayek , World Economy 32(1) , 111-135 , January 2009.
- The Uncertain Lifetime and the Timing of Human Capital Investment , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan , Journal of Population Economics 21(3) , 557-572 , July 2008.
- Why doesn't Capital Flow from Rich to Poor Countries? An Empirical Investigation , Laura Alfaro, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, and Vadym Volosovych , The Review of Economics and Statistics 90(2) , 347-368 , May 2008.
- Financial Integration within EU Countries: The Role of Institutions, Confidence and Trust , Mehmet Fatih Ekinci, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Bent Sorensen , NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics , 325-391 , September 2007.
- FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets , Laura Alfaro, Areendam Chanda, Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Selin Sayek , Journal of International Economics 64(1) , 89-112 , October 2004.
- Risk Sharing and Industrial Specialization: Regional and International Evidence , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Bent Sorensen, Oved Yosha , American Economic Review 93(3) , 903-918 , June 2003.
- A Stochastic Model of Mortality, Fertility, and Human Capital Investment , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan , Journal of Development Economics 70(1) , 103-118 , February 2003.
- Does Mortality Decline Promote Economic Growth? , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan , Journal of Economic Growth 7(4) , 411-439 , December 2002.
- Economic Integration, Industrial Specialization, and the Asymmetry of Macroeconomic Fluctuations , Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Bent Sorensen, and Oved Yosha , Journal of International Economics 55(1) , 107-137 , October 2001.
Department of Economics