Charles R. Hulten
Charles R. Hulten is Professor of Economics at the University of Maryland, where he has taught since 1985. He is also a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research and Chairman of the Conference on Research in Income and Wealth, and Senior Fellow at The Conference Board. He is a member of the Advisory Committee of the Bureau of Economic Analysis. Before joining the University of Maryland, he was a Senior Research Associate at the Urban Institute and Assistant Professor of Economics at Johns Hopkins University. His undergraduate and Ph.D. degrees are from the University of California, Berkeley (1965 and 1973, respectively).
- Productivity Analysis
- Economic Growth and Capital Formation
- Economics of Intangible Capital
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 1973
- How Much Does Your Company Really Invest in Innovation? , Charles Hulten , The Conference Board, Executive Action Series, No. 419 , October 2013.
- Stimulating Economic Growth through Knowledge-based Investment , Charles Hulten , OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers , May 2013.
- Connecting the Supply and Demand Sides of the Economy: Productivity, Asset Valuation, and Tobin's q , Carol Corrado and Charles Hulten , Wealth, Financial Intermediation and the Real Economy, Conference on Research on Income and Wealth, Federal Reserve Board, Washington D.C. , November 2010.
- How Do you Measure a 'Technological Revolution'? , Carol A. Corrado and Charles Hulten , American Economic Review 100(2) , 99-104 , May 2010.
- Measuring Intangible Capital and Its Contribution to Economic Growth , Van Ark Bart, Carol A. Corrado, Charles Hulten and Janet X. Hao , EIB Papers, European Investment Bank 14(1) , 62-94 , December 2009.
- Intangible Capital and U.S. Economic Growth , Carol Corrado, Charles Hulten and Daniel Sichel , Review of Income and Wealth 55(3) , 661-685 , September 2009.
- Innovation, Intangibles And Economic Growth: Towards a Comprehensive Accounting of the Knowledge Economy , Bart van Ark and Charles Hulten , Yearbook on Productivity 2007, Papers Presented at the Saltsjobaden Conference , October 2007.
- Toward A National Innovation Account , Charles Hulten , Comment Prepared for The Advisory Committee on Measuring Innovation in the 21th Century Economy , May 2007.
- Getting Depreciation (Almost) Right , Charles Hulten , Presented at the meeting of the Canberra II Group in Paris , April 2007.
- The "Architecture" of Capital Accounting: Basic Design Principles , Charles Hulten , A New Architecture for the National Accounts, Conference on Research in Income and Wealth , January 2006.
- Measuring Capital and Technology: An Expanded Framework , Carol Corrado, Charles Hulten, and Daniel Sichel , Measuring Capital in the New Economy, ed. by Carol Corrado, John Haltiwanger and Daniel Sichel, The University of Chicago Press , 11-45 , January 2005.
- Total Factor Productivity: A Short Biography , Charles Hulten , New Developments in Productivity Analysis , January 2001.
- A Fiscal Federalism Approach to Infrastructure Policy , Charles R. Hulten and Robert M. Schwab , Regional Science and Urban Economics 27(2) , 139-159 , April 1997.
- Infrastructure Spending: Where Do We Go from Here? , Charles R. Hulten and Robert M. Schwab , National Tax Journal 46(3) , 261-273 , September 1993.
- Public Capital Formation and the Growth of Regional Manufacturing Industries , Charles R. Hulten and Robert M. Schwab , National Tax Journal 44(4) , 121-134 , December 1991.
- A Haig-Simons-Tiebout Comprehensive Income Tax , Charles R. Hulten and Robert M. Schwab , National Tax Journal 44(1) , 67-78 , March 1991.
- The Measurement of Capital , Charles Hulten , Fifty Years of Economic Measurement: The Jubilee of the Conference on Research in Income and Wealth , January 1990.
- Regional Productivity Growth in U.S. Manufacturing: 1951-78 , Charles R. Hulten and Robert M. Schwab , The American Economic Review 74(1) , 152-162 , March 1984.
- The Measurement of Economic Depreciation , Charles Hulten and Frank C. Wykoff , Depreciation, Inflation, and the Taxation of Income from Capital , January 1981.
Department of Economics