Emel Filiz Ozbay
Emel Filiz-Ozbay received her PhD with distinction from Columbia University in 2007 and joined the University of Maryland faculty in the same year. Her fields of interest are experimental and behavioral economics, decision theory, market design, and contract theory. She publishes her research in the leading economics journals. She conducts several auction and market design experiments to better understand the performance of different mechanisms. Her research also addresses the behavioral biases of agents in their decision making processes, and how those biases vary between agents and depending on the environment. One of her recent studies examines the effect of cognitive skills and personality traits on economic decision making in labor settings. In a different study, she and her co-authors experimentally show that lottery payments induce saving behavior of experimental subjects. She teaches microeconomic theory, behavioral economics, and experimental economics at the University of Maryland.
- Behavioral Economics
- Experimental Economics
- Economic Theory
- Ph.D. Columbia University, 2007
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON427||Experimental Economics||Spring 2017|
|ECON636||Behavioral Economics||Spring 2017|
|ECON603||Microeconomic Analysis I||Fall 2016|
|ECON868||Workshop in Industrial Organization||Fall 2016|
|ECON427||Experimental Economics||Spring 2016|
|ECON698A||Selected Topics in Economics; Behavioral Economics||Spring 2016|
|ECON603||Microeconomic Analysis I||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
- An experiment on auctions with endogenous budget constraints , Lawrence M. Ausubel, Justin E. Burkett, Emel Filiz-Ozbay , Experimental Economics 20(4) , 973-1006 , December 2017.
- Do Lottery Payments Induce Savings Behavior? Evidence from the Lab , Emel Filiz Ozbay, Jonathan Guryan, Kyle Hyndman, Melissa Kearney, and Erkut Y. Ozbay , Journal of Public Economics 126 , 1-24 , June 2015.
- Multi-Object Auctions with Resale: Theory and Experiment , Emel Filiz Ozbay , Games and Economic Behavior 89 , 1-16 , January 2015.
- Effect of an Audience in Public Goods Provision , Emel Filiz Ozbay and Erkut Y. Ozbay , Experimental Economics 17(2) , 200-214 , June 2014.
- Fear of Losing in a Clock Auction , Emel Filiz Ozbay, Peter Cramton, Erkut Y. Ozbay, and Pacharasut Sujarittanonta , Review of Economic Design 16(2) , 119-134 , September 2012.
- Incorporating Unawareness into Contract Theory , Emel Filiz Ozbay , Games and Economic Behavior 76(1) , 181-194 , September 2012.
- Discrete Clock Auctions: An Experimental Study , Emel Filiz Ozbay, Peter Cramton, Erkut Y. Ozbay, and Pacharasut Sujarittanonta , Experimental Economics 15(2) , 309-322 , June 2012.
- Common-Value Auctions with Liquidity Needs: An Experimental Test of a Troubled Assets Reverse Auctions , Emel Filiz Ozbay, Lawrence M. Ausubel, Peter Cramton, Nathaniel Higgins, Erkut Y. Ozbay, and Andrew Stocking , Handbook of Market Design, ed. by Nir Vulkan, Alvin E. Roth, and Zvika Neeman , May 2011.
- Anticipated Loser Regret in Third Price Auctions , Emel Filiz Ozbay and Erkut Y. Ozbay , Economics Letters 107(2) , 217-219 , May 2010.
- Auctions with Anticipated Regret: Theory and Experiment , Emel Filiz Ozbay and Erkut Y. Ozbay , American Economic Review 97(4) , 1407-1418 , September 2007.
- Ambiguous Events and Maxmin Expected Utility , Emel Filiz Ozbay and Massimiliano Amarante , Journal of Economic Theory 134(1) , 1-33 , May 2007.
- A Representation for Intransitive Indifference Relations , Emel Filiz Ozbay and Erkut Y. Ozbay , Mathematical Social Sciences 50(2) , 202-214 , September 2005.
Department of Economics